But everything was what I am expecting actually. I was just silently wishing it to be true. The outcome remained controversial. Some said more explorations could be done but more of them said its poetic, evocative, experiential, great relation to site, beautiful piece of architecture and interesting story behind design. But I believed that a good design is a emotive and sensitive one, or better still, delicate. Or else it would be boring as hell.
Anyhow, I am quite happy for being selected as one of the better designs for the MSD exhibition. Now I am just hoping that I am not going to fail my exam. Jesus Christ. I can't wait for my Europe trip!!!!
So, the story goes like this (my presentation script literally goes like this, and this is the first time I actually prepared it):
Inspiration and design agenda
I am inspired by the evolution of West Melbourne from its
domestic terrace and cottages era, to factories, and warehouses, and then now, rapidly
morphing into residential and a lifestyle hub due to the population growth and
economic shift. The image of West Melbourne is constantly changing, from fine small
blocks to masses of towering structures. This makes me wonder, is there a way that could remind people of
the constant change and capture people’s attention to think about the history
and the future of West Melbourne. This is how I want my building to
function in the urban context of West Melbourne. Therefore, I reinterpreted the
bits and pieces of that evolution process into a monolithic and poetic structure
to get the users and the passers-by to think about the spirit of the
surrounding site context.
Strategies
To achieve that, brick is being used for the entire building because firstly, it reflects the
heritage value of the site. Secondly, bricks are capable of providing
monolithic, grand gestures whilst simultaneously maintaining a tactile, human
scaled quality. So when you are walking along the streets, you will notice
the monolithic structure of contrasting brick colors and brick walls – whether its solid or perforated – sculptured
by light and shade, giving that surface that uneven and textured characteristics.
That also means that when you are inside of the building, you will feel that
warmth and subtle molded by the shadows and the quality of light that is
created by the roughness and bareness of the brick wall. And some hints of the
industrial image can be sensed through the black framing too. Therefore, it
gets people to think about the past. Also, at night, the lights from within makes
the whole building glow through the perforated walls and openings thus creating
a whole new view and artistic feel towards the streetscape, which is very
current. And because bricks also age well. So when time goes by, the color of
the building will evolve as well. This is also something that can eventually evoke
people’s feeling and thoughts on the evolution process of the different eras. In
other words, the monolithic brick building relates both the past and the
present as well as informing what is going to happen in the future at the same
time.
Clients’ Agenda
So, how are all these respond to the client’s agenda? First,
being essentially own by NAVA, the whole building is both sculptural and artistic.
Brick itself is also another symbol for bareness, roughness and honesty, which
is very much what the Naturist Wellness Group is portraying as their main
image. Third, being a modern and minimal building design, it expresses the
belief of my architectural practice as well.
Therefore, with all the responses and strategies, this
design will not just meet the clients’ requirement, but also able to at least evoke
people’s memory or just simply think about the stories behind West Melbourne.


